Android Upgrade


My Verizon Droid Bionic finally received the "Jelly Bean" version of the OS upgrade, which is nearly 1 year behind schedule as compare with the other smartphones. I can understand Verizon would not want to allow for this upgrade because the "customer" would not have the reason to purchase another cellphone or extend the contract with them. Neither does Motorola, the smartphone manufacturer, for the same reason. Such is the conflict between the providers and the consumer. When the two sides do not agree and cannot agree, we have history to point to - the French revolution, the Bolshevik Revolution, etc. Sometimes I do wonder when and if we will have a consumers revolt and what form will that take...

Of the long wait that I had with "Jelly Bean", it is also reminiscent of the Microsoft Windows OS upgrade a decade ago (this isn't true anymore with Windows 7 and Windows 8) or the Apple iOS sine day one, when the newer version of the OS demands faster CPU and more memory. Jelly Bean is no different! My "old" duo-core, 1GB RAM Droid Bionic is extremely pokey after the OS upgrade. It seems I may need to look for a "newer" phone with faster CPU and 2GB of RAM. I wonder, at this point, is it time to look into a Microsoft Windows Phone 8 unit, like a Lumia 822. I want something that is reliable, responsive, and secure. I understand none of the existing smartphone OS (Apple iOS, Google Android, and Microsoft WP8) is secure by my standard (firewalled and sandboxed per application, per network, per destination, per file, and per time-of-day) and SEAndroid is still nowhere in sight. But is there something close?

Comments

Popular Posts